! ! Sudden Cardiac Arrest and AEDs - when seconds count. The Facts 366,807 Deaths from Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) per year in the U.S. 1 10,000 cardiac arrests in the workplace annually. 3 95% of SCA victims don’t survive 1 What is the di erence between SCA & Heart Attack? Sudden Cardiac Arrest Heart Attack What is a Sudden Cardiac Arrest? • A sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) is an “electrical” problem. • SCA occcurs when the heart malfunctions and stops beating unexpectedly. • Triggered by an electrical malfunction in the heart that causes an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia). • With its pumping action disrupted, the heart cannot pump blood to the brain, lungs and other organs. What Happens? A person becomes unresponsive, is not breathing or is only gasping, experiencing seizure-like symptoms. Death occurs within minutes if the victim does not receive treatment. What to do Cardiac arrest can be reversible in some victims if it's treated within a few minutes. • First, call 9-1-1 (If two people are available to help, one should begin CPR immediately while the other calls 9-1-1 and finds an AED). • If an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) is available, use it as soon as possible. What is a Heart Attack? • A Heart Attack is a “circulation” problem. • Occurs when the blood to the heart is blocked. • The heart usually does not stop beating. • If the blocked artery is not reopened quickly, the part of the heart normally nourished by that artery begins to die. What Happens? A person may experience intense discomfort in the chest, shortness of breath, cold sweats, and/or nausea/vomiting. Some symptoms start slowly and persist for hours, days or weeks before heart attack occurs. What to do • Call 9-1-1 or your emergency response number immediately. Did You Know. only 50% of people can locate an automated external de brillator (AED) at work? 5 The Importance of AED's in the Workplace • Sudden cardiac arrest is a workplace killer ; 13% of all workplace fatalities result from SCA. 4 • If a rescuer can provide defibrillation in the first minute, the victim’s chance of survival increases to more than 90% . • Response time is critical. Brain death begins within 4-6 minutes of the SCA event. 4 • Each minute that passes will decrease the victim’s chance of survival by 7-10% if no defibrillation is provided. • The average time to respond to a 911 call in an urban area is 10 minutes . 4 (Expect longer response times if your workplace is in a remote/rural area). • AHA recommends placing an AED at three-minute “drop to shock” intervals throughout the facility. 4 (i.e. should take a person no longer than 3 minutes round-trip to get to the AED and back to the victim). Fastenal Company disclaims all warranties, both express and implied, relating to the information, reports, opinions and analysis disclosed to the Customer by Fastenal Company. Fastenal Company shall not be liable for any errors or omissions, or any losses, injuries or damages arising from the use of such information, reports, opinions and analysis by the Customer. SAFETY Contact Fastenal for questions and information about AED assessments and products. SafetyQuestions@Fastenal.com !
Download PDF file